Monday, October 6, 2008

Riding a Two Wheeler!

I thought that it would never happen, but it did. Today at approximately 1:00 p.m. my daughter rode her bike without training wheels!! I know that it doesn't sound like much, but this is HUGE for us. I say "us" because Maddie and I have been at each others throats that last 2 1/2 weeks trying to overcome this stepping stone!! Every single day we would practice, and every single day one of us would either walk away crying, or stomp back into the house. Yes I know that she is only five and I am the parent, but this was "killing" me!! First she said "I want to ride a two wheeler" so I said okay. I took off her training wheels, and I would walk around with her while she peddled. Then she would get scared, and say "I can't do it" I would tell her that if she says that, then she never will be able to ride a bike. I walk away because at this point Madilynn has started to cry, and was yelling at me. Later, at night we would talk about it, and then I would read to her "The Little Engine That Could" then we would talk about it some more! (I'm not kidding, this is serious!!) The next day I would see her riding her friends scooter. She told me that she decided that she likes riding scooters more than anything. I would ask her if she wanted to practice riding her bike, and the whole thing would start all over again.
Well today she did it!! She was laughing and smiling so much. She couldn't wait for her friends to come home so that she could show them. (because at one point I told her other 5 year old friends to teach her how to ride, but I felt guilty watching Nalea trying to hold up the bike for Maddie!! What? she doesn't yell at them!)
But, I am very very proud of her. I knew that she could do it. I really hope that this isn't a taste of how it is going to be when she is older, otherwise Nalea is teaching her how to drive!! Or Maddie will end up throwing "The Little Engine That Could" book at me!

(By the way, I put all these braids in her hair while watching conference. It kept her in the room, and me from accidentally falling asleep.)

3 comments:

Tina said...

Way to go Maddie! Jen, I agree with you. I remember feeling like this was such an accomplishment when Garrett learned how to ride.

Jenny said...

What parent hasn't gone through tears with the whole learning to ride thing! Yeah for Maddie! Good idea with the braids. I'll have to try that next time.

McKell said...

Yea Maddie! I'm sure your patience was a little better than mine. At one point I just wanted to pull Myka off and show her myself.